Creativa Produzione: Tuscany and the Italian design 1950-1990

You are here

Project knowledge and world production in Tuscany from the fifties to the present day – At the Foundation Centro Studi Ragghianti from 13 June to 1 November 2015.

"Creativa Produzione: Tuscany and the Italian design from 1950 to 1990” has been launched on Friday 12 June at the Fondazione Ragghianti in Lucca. It is curated by Gianni Pettena, Davide Turrini and Mauro Lovi, and stems from the initiative Piccoli Grandi Musei 2015. Tuscany '900. Museums and Art itineraries. The exhibition presents and emphasizes the importance of the role of productive realities located in Tuscany from the 50s onwards, highlighting the ability to select and attract talented people, especially in the field of art and architecture, contributing to the contemporary image of the Italian design in the world. The exhibition focuses on furniture and everyday objects designed by leading Italian and international designers, including porcelain, ceramics, glass, silver, crystal, marble and graphic design. It is in the mid-50s that Tuscany triggers a design innovation process under the direct influence of the protagonists of the international scene such as Michelucci, il Gruppo Toscano, Gio Ponti, Angiolo Mazzoni, Richard Neutra, Adalberto Libera, Corradino D’Ascanio. Thanks to the first industrial companies like Piaggio and Riccardo-Ginori, and later Poltronova and Martinelli, a phase of experimentation and collaborations with leading designers begins, such as, among others, Sottsass, Castiglioni, Zanini, Buti, Tuhn, and Mendini. Later, in the eighties, the artisan company Fantacci from Prato, which used to produce Michelucci furniture for Poltronova, continues to increase the production of the great architect through a collaboration with the Michelucci Foundation. There is also the possibility to take a look at contemporary artisan realities and works of the twenty-first century, proving that the "creative production" is still an actual and steady process.

When: 
Saturday, 13 June 2015 to Sunday, 1 November 2015
Place: 
Monumental Complex of San Micheletto